Yesterday (16 Dec 2016), the Catholic Cemeteries Association, Diocese of Cleveland, introduced a FREE iPhone App for searching nearly 700,000 burials dating back to the mid-1800s in Catholic cemeteries throughout Northeast Ohio.
Some other features:
- Save loved ones and cemetery info to your profile for easy access later.
- Use GPS navigation to your loved one’s final resting place (currently available for All Saints Northfield and Resurrection Valley City). Other cemeteries will be available in coming weeks, according to the announcement.
- Access cemetery maps, driving directions, and visitation/office hours.
To download the app, go here.
Currently, 15 of 19 cemeteries are available for online search.
The online search is currently available for the following cemeteries:
- All Saints, Northfield
- All Souls, Chardon
- Assumption of Mary, Brook Park
- Calvary, Cleveland
- Calvary, Lorain
- Holy Cross, Akron
- Holy Cross, Brook Park
- Resurrection, Valley City
- St. Joseph, Avon
- St. Mary, Cleveland
- St. Mary, Cuyahoga Heights
- St. Mary, Elyria
- St. Mary of the Falls
- Elmhurst Park, Avon
- Holy Trinity Avon
Work is ongoing at the following cemeteries:
- St. Joseph, Cleveland
- St. John, Cleveland
To search for ancestors in this database, go here (creating an account (free) and login are required).
This list accounts for 17 of the 19 cemeteries. No word was available on the Association’s website for St. Mary Cemetery in Cleveland and St. Paul Cemetery in Euclid, which round out the list of 19 cemeteries affiliated with the Association.
If you want to check St. Mary Cemetery for an ancestor, go to Find A Grave for 7,694 burial listings, of which 65% reportedly are photographed. Find A Grave also has listings for St. Paul Cemetery in Euclid, with 1,684 burials, 77% photographed.